Yas people, it’s finally that time of the year when we get to find out who wants the next Melfest crown and who will get to represent Sweden at the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest.
Let’s not hide it, last year was terrible. The quality of the songs was extremely poor or basically, it didn’t match the greatness of 2016 & 2017. Now this year, things seem to be more exciting and we might get a better quality overall. Let’s see who’s in and what can we expect:
- Andreas Johnson “Army of Us” – no idea who this guy is, also, no idea about the composers. I don’t expect a lot from it but we’ll see.
- Ann-Louise Hanson “Kärleken finns kvar” – we all got used with Christer’s fetish to allow old veterans to compete in, sometimes they even qualify in the final but usually they fail.
- Anna Bergendahl “Ashes to Ashes” – I was so shocked to see her back again. Wow! She’s basically the only artist who failed to qualify Sweden in the Final since the Semifinals were introduced. She’s back now with huge names behind her song.
- Anton Hagman “Känner dig” – this guy is known for defeating Loreen in 2017 in Andra Chansen but now he is back with a song in Swedish and some no names behind it. Not sure if he can actually qualify. But sometimes, looks can do that for you.
- Arja Saijonmaa “Mina fyra årstider” – oh well, the same case as Ann-Louise, I don’t want to be superficial but let’s just embrace the reality.
- Arvingarna “I Do” – I never heard about them but after some google search I honestly don’t have a lot of expectations. We’ll see though.
- Bishara “On My Own” – the youngest participant, more like JESC material. He’s only 15 and he’s competing with a song wrote by Benjamin Ingrosso (this year’s winner). Idk, can do well?
- Dolly Style “Habibi” – a total novelty act. I’m not even gonna bother. No important names behind their song this year. Byeh!
- Hanna Ferm & LIAMOO “Hold You” – I know Liamoo from this year’s contest. His song was quite average but now with a female on stage, things might change. I hope there will be a surprise here.
- High15 “No Drama” – Well, never heard about them BUT the Debs Family are behind their song. I feel this might be a huge banger that we could listen on repeat in February.
- Jan Malmsjö “Leva livet” – oh boy. I’m just done with this one.
- John Lundvik “Too Late for Love” – for some reason I’m just not a fan of this guy. Not impressed by his voice and not impressed by his song from 2018. I’m like meh, and no huge names behind his song as well.
- Jon Henrik Fjällgren “Norrsken” – Meh. I know he almost won melfest a few years ago but I’m just not into his type of music.
- Lina Hedlund “Victorious” – the Alcazar girl. Well, she might be bringing in some big banger but then, knowing Dotter’s style (one of the composers), I have mixed feelings. Let it be a surprise!
- Lisa Ajax “Torn” – I am a huge Lisa Ajax fan since 2015, I always supported her melfest participation’s but I feel a bit insecure about who is behind her song. Please. Don’t be average.
- Malou Prytz “I Do Me” – I don’t know her but she looks cute. Had the same feeling about Wiktoria in 2016. I have a feeling about this one…
- Margaret “Tempo” – yep, she’s back again. The polish queen with a huge number of composers behind her song. Let’s just hope it will be better than “In my Cabana”.
- Martin Stenmarck “Låt skiten brinna” – He’s famous but he’s in with a song in Swedish *Krista cringe*. But, Tim Larsson is behind his song so that’s a bit plus somehow.
- Mohombi “Hello” – everyone was hyped about his participation since he was quite famous a few years ago. Also, a romanian composers, for the first time ever, is behind his song. Yey. It just has to be good!
- Nano “Chasing Rivers” – almost won melfest a few years ago and now he’s big with REALLY BIG names behind his song (a combo of the Deb Family and T. G:son). I’m sure this song will be a blast and why not, winner in 2019?
- Omar “Om igen” – No. Just no.
- Oscar Enestad “I Love It” – Felix Sandmaneen much?
- Pagan Fury “Stormbringer” – no idea who they are but damn the name of the band is quite unique.
- Rebecka Karlsson “Who I Am” – Idol participant, might be something quite good here. I just have a feeling.
- The Lovers of Valdaro “Somebody Wants” – two blonde guys and an interesting band name and song title. Can’t wait to hear it.
- Vlad Reiser “Nakna i regnet” – novelty act as far as I’ve heard.
- Wiktoria “Not with Me” – BIG names behind this song, Wiktoria is by far one of the favorites to win Melfest in 2019. I just can’t wait to her this ballad!
- Zeana feat. Anis Don Demina “Mina bränder” – no idea who they are but G:son is behind it.
Okay, so these were my first impressions about today’s reveal. I hope it will be a great year and hopefully there will be at least 5 amazing songs that we can play on repeat at the beginning of next year. Stay tuned for more! 🙂
Dare to live your life as you envision. Dare to live your wildest dreams. Be kind. Be happy. Be You. Someone wise once said “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’re always in the same place.” So just go for it! 🙂